Questions and Answers

Q & A


How does radon enter your home?

Radon is a radioactive gas that you can’t see, smell, or taste. It comes from the natural decay of uranium that is found in nearly all soils. It enters your home through cracks and holes in the foundation. Your home traps the radon inside, where it can build up. Any home may have a radon problem. Homes that are old or new may have elevated radon levels, even homes without a basement.

Why is radon a health hazard?

Radon gas collects in buildings and forms radon decay products which mostly attach to dust particles in the air. Inhalation of these radon decay products results in the deposit of radiation energy (alpha particles) in surface tissues of the lung. This is the largest source of radiation dose to an average person and radon is a known cause of lung cancer in humans. Radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer next to smoking in the U.S. The EPA estimates that radon causes more than 21,000 cancer deaths in the U.S. each year.

How can I schedule a test with Sloan Radon Testing? What is the cost for a radon test?

Please call our office at 319-373-0834 or you can reach Craig at 319-721-7185 for any other needed information. You can also order a radon test from us by clicking the 'Request a Test' tab on the navigation bar at the top, or by clicking here. Once the testing information is filled out, just click the 'Submit to Sloan Radon' button to e-mail your request to us. We will then call you to confirm test schedule times.

The average cost for a 48 hour certified radon test is $125 within a 75 mile radius of Cedar Rapids.

We Accept Most Major Credit Cards.

What type of equipment do you use to test a home?

Sloan Radon testing uses Sun Nuclear Continuous Radon Monitors to measure the concentration of radon. The continuous radon monitor will measure the level of radon during the test in hourly intervals. The monitor will then calculate the average radon level for the duration of the testing period.

What should I do if my home tests high for radon?

If your home has a radon level of 4.0 pCi/L or above, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends that you take steps to decrease the radon level below 4.0 pCi/L. You can do this by having a radon reduction system installed by an Iowa state certified mitigation contractor.

Where can I find more information on radon?

The Iowa Department of Public Health, along with the Environmental Protection Agency, have informational radon websites.